Thursday, September 4, 2014

Can't catch a break...well, not the kind he wants at least.

Well, we were cruising along, Jacob was doing great, getting so grown up, ever independent and active.  He and Luke were actually about to start Mother's Day Out 1 day a week so I could get some school work done.  So Tuesday we were shopping for him new shoes for school (& Asa too), and for him a lunchbox and a few other things so he'd be ready to go on Monday.  We were in the shoe store, and he jumped off one of those firetruck things for the kids to play on.  Immediately he started screaming and holding his leg.  I didn't want to believe he was hurt badly, but after he didn't calm down after a few minutes, I thought something might be wrong.  He usually walks off the little bumps and falls pretty well, but was still crying and couldn't walk.  We left and I called David and we headed home so I could drop off the other kids and take him to the hospital.  I decided to not say anything and see how he was when we got home, cause he stopped crying in the car.  But when we got home, I got him out and he tried to walk and took one step and fell down crying.  I put him right back in and off we went to the ER.  There was little doubt in my mind at that point that he had broken something.  The doctor in the ER was certain as well after examining him, and the X-Ray confirmed...broken tibia bone in his leg.



They put him on a temporary cast (up to his hip), and we follow up with ortho in a week for his long term cast once the swelling goes down.  





It has been a rough couple of days so far.  He can bear NO weight at all, so cannot walk.  This is torture for my always active little boy.  The first day wasn't so bad, because he still had a lot of pain, and didn't feel up to much.  But by the 2nd day, he was over it.  He wanted down, wanted to play, wanted to ride his scooter, just wanted to walk.  He is sick of the couch, and is over watching TV.


But I can still get a smile outta the sweet little guy!


I am trying to keep him occupied, playing puzzles and toys, but he just wants to get up and go.  He begged me yesterday, saying his leg was all better now.  Poor little guy.  Taking him outside was torture, he just wanted to go run and play.


Please pray for us, that 1) his leg will heal quickly with no complications, 2) he will get used to getting help and doing more sitting and not running around, 3) the new cast will allow him at least some freedom of movement, 4) his mommy will have patience and ingenuity to come up with ways to keep him occupied and make this easier on him, and 5) these next weeks pass quickly!  I'm not one to wish time away, as I know it is precious and fleeting and all, but I don't mind saying, I'm ready for this to be over with and my baby boy be able to run and play as his little heart desires.  I still want to see the beauty in these days, however difficult it may be to find.  Pray we will continue to look for "Today's Miracle" even in these challenging days, I know we are fortunate in some ways to be dealing with just a normal little kid injury, instead of the complex, rare issues we normally are facing.  For that I will be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment