Sunday, July 6, 2014

I won't say Goodbye

15 years ago, my first friend in this world graduated from high school.

My big brother, Josh Templeton.  He graduated from high school, surely a momentous occasion in his life.  But for me, what was momentous was what came next...he stayed home!  I had spent the previous 17 years of my life with much of it revolving around him.  We were inseparable as children...





I idolized him in school, probably taking more pictures of him and his friends, than of me and my own.




I went to every ball game of his, hung out with him and his friends, worked my first job where he worked, listened to the songs he listened to, watched the same movies and tv shows.   He truly was one of my favorite people, and best friends.  When he graduated, I was so proud he was my brother, so happy for him.



Even more so, because he didn't go away to college, and have no time for his little sister anymore.  Josh went to a local University, on a full ride basketball scholarship, allowing me to continue going to all his games, and being a part of his life.  I went on to marry his best friend, he married a girl he met in college, and the 4 of us have stayed close over the years.  I have watched him become a husband and a father, ever proud of the man he has become.








Time has changed Josh and I.  We no longer do everything together, work at the same place, or even watch the same shows...well we may still have that in common.  After today, we no longer live in the same town.  Josh and Abbie and their girls moved away today.  But Josh and I will retain a commonality in the most important things in life.  Love for our family, our kids, our spouse.  And even simpler things...love for good music, hanging out, watching basketball.  I have decided today that I will not allow myself sadness over their leaving.  Because I have had something few have had.  15 bonus years with my brother.  Watching him fall in love, have a family, be a dad, and have amazing little girls who my kids happen to adore.  Most people don't get the chance for their kids to grow up with their cousins nearby, and my kids got to establish great relationships with theirs at the beginning of their lives.




































I know their love for these girls, their first playmates, best friends, will transcend the distance, as I know mine will for my brother and my sister in law.  So I will be nothing but thankful that Josh chose to spend the last 15 years here.  You could have gone anywhere, Josh.  I'm so glad you called here home for a little longer. Countless Sunday dinners, Friday nights, boxes of pizza watching kids play, hot days at the pool, even the occasional "parent's night out."  All these we enjoyed, because here was home for you.  And I am thankful.
 









 







 














I am nothing but happy for you and Abbie on your new journey, and excited to see the new home you will make with your girls.  I love all of you, and the Casteel clan will be crashing your new pad soon!  And I look forward to it, as I know we will be greeted with the open arms of family.


No comments:

Post a Comment