Wednesday, October 16, 2019

6 month post-op update

*Disclaimer: I wrote this in May, sorry just now getting around to posting.

I know I've been delinquent in updating, as I said in the previous post, so here's how things have been the past 6 months...Soon after our Boston trip in November, the holidays were upon us.  They were extra special this year as we decided to give the kids an "experience" rather than stuff for Christmas.  They are all huge Harry Potter fans, and have been begging to go to HP world at Universal Studios.  So for Christmas they got their owls and Hogwarts letters, and we left for Universal.  It was an amazing trip that I will remember forever.












Since then, we've just been busy with the grind of school and work.  Jacob and Luke are well into baseball season right now, which started off very special as Jacob was given the "Courage Award" for persevering his health challenges to play.  The league where they play does this every year, honoring a child with this award, and has a special time during the opening ceremonies of the season to give it to them.  This was so amazing to see him honored in this way, and we are thankful to the league for recognizing him and doing this.  We have had a lot of fun this season and are thankful for his health to be able to play. 















As May rolled around, so did the 6 month mark since his procedure, meaning it was time for his imaging.  We scheduled it here at our local children's hospital, and sent the images to BCH to his doctor for review. I was very excited as our local hospital just built a new outpatient center.  There Jacob was able to get his imaging done in our new EOS system which previously he has only had at BCH.  It utilizes lower dose radiation and produces higher resolution imaging.  I was very impressed and proud at our hospital's commitment to expanding the technology we offer to give the best for the kids in our region.



As you may remember, the last trip our doctor was so pleased with how Jacob was doing, he hinted at the possibility of skipping the next treatment and allowing him to go a year between trips.  I was afraid to get my hopes up too much, but I won't lie, I had my hopes up.  Though we will go up there as often as possible to keep my boy healthy, to the point of moving up there if we have to; I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love to go a year between trips instead of every 6 months.  So we just got the good news this past week: the lesion growth has been minimal, and appears stable, so we do get to skip this treatment cycle.  We are so excited!  So we are going to look forward to the summer ahead, and not think about BRBNS for awhile longer.  We will certainly have to go in the fall, as he does not feel comfortable going longer than a year without seeing Jacob.  We tried that before and lost a lot of ground, so we don't want to make that mistake again.  But I am thankful for this break and am going to enjoy my boy being well.  Thank you sincerely to all of you who have prayed for him, especially of late.  I know I am quiet about him until something is looming, but know that I am ever grateful for you all who hold thought and prayer for him, whether I ask or not.  I love you all, and keep praying that we can continue to enjoy Today's Miracle.


No comments:

Post a Comment